For information and questions regarding the Sustainable Post Occupancy Evaluation Survey (SPOES) contact:
B3 Post Occupancy Evaluation Team
Center for Sustainable Building Research, University of Minnesota
Abi Asojo PhD, Principal Investigator, Interior Design
Caren Martin PhD, Researcher, Martin & Guerin Design Research
Richard Graves, Director, CSBR
Denise Guerin PhD, Researcher, Martin & Guerin Design Research
B3 Buildings use the SPOES
This online survey takes occupants approximately 10 minutes to complete. It has been developed to:
- Meet B3 Guidelines requirement (FREE administration and analysis for B3 buildings)
- Examine occupants’ satisfaction with the IEQ criteria in their physical environments
- Generate an IEQ Score of occupants’ satisfaction
- Measure “vital signs” of the building’s IEQ based on occupants’ perceptions
- Direct attention to areas of success or those needing improvement
- Compare IEQ of building to benchmarks
The SPOES is required and is free to B3 buildings. It is also available for non-B3 buildings for a fee (see Fee Schedule). It is administered and analyzed by B3 staff.
B3 Buildings can add IEQ Modules for Additional Analysis
Are you interested in additional information on your building’s indoor environmental quality?
B3 staff members have developed several modules that supplement the SPOES. These modules can be used to assess occupant satisfaction with specific topics such as ergonomics, lighting, or privacy. Additionally, they can be used to evaluate occupants’ perception of their performance/productivity as it relates to the IEQ of the building. Take a look at the modules we’ve developed to collect and analyze specific data on each criteria. Each module can be administered in conjunction with the SPOES and will require 5-10 minutes of occupants’ time. Modules can be added for a fee (see Fee Schedule).
- Performance Module: Occupants’ performance related to primary workspace for 15 IEQ categories and attributes for lighting, acoustics, and thermal conditions.
- Health Module: Overall health related to primary workspace for 15 IEQ categories and attributes for lighting, acoustics, and thermal conditions.
- Ergonomics Module(s): Separate modules for satisfaction, performance, and health as related to occupants’ primary workspace.
- Privacy Module(s): Separate modules for satisfaction, performance, and health as related to acoustic and visual privacy.
- Alternative Workspace Module(s): Separate modules for satisfaction, performance, and health as related to IEQ of alternative workspaces.
The B3 team can also conduct a Pre-Occupancy Evaluation (PreOE) of your building to assist with benchmarking, programming, or problem identification (see Fee Schedule).