B3 Sustainable Building 2030 Energy Standards
The B3 Sustainable Building 2030 (SB 2030) Energy Standard is a progressive energy conservation program designed to significantly reduce the energy and carbon in Minnesota commercial, institutional and industrial buildings. Based on the national Architecture 2030 program, program, SB 2030 has been tailored to the needs of Minnesota buildings. The SB 2030 Energy Standard for all projects built after 2010 is 60 percent below that of an average building. Then in 2015, the standard becomes 70 percent better and so on until net zero energy is reached in 2030. The SB 2030 Energy Standard is required on all projects that receive general obligation bond funding from the State of Minnesota. SB 2030 can also be used on a voluntary basis on any project. If the B3 Guidelines are used, the SB 2030 Energy Standard is automatically included in the process. Data collected as part of the B3 and SB 2030 programs will be publicly accessible, including on the B3 Case Study Database (more information below).
B3 Case Studies Database
The B3 Case Studies Database provides design and performance information on projects using the B3 Guidelines and the SB 2030 Energy Standard. Each project case study includes a Scorecard with several performance metrics including energy, carbon, water, stormwater, and waste. The case study also includes an SB 2030 Label indicating the projects Energy Use Intensity (EUI) during design and actual performance.
All Minnesota State bonded projects—both new and substantially renovated—that have not begun their Schematic Design Phase prior to January 1, 2015 will be required to meet the Minnesota Sustainable Building 2030 (SB 2030) 2015-2019 Energy Standard. Projects that have begun their Schematic Design phase prior to this date will be subject to the prior 2010-2014 requirements. Note that several documents below have different versions depending on which Standard is being used.
To Begin the Process
As soon as you have identified that you have a project that is required to use the SB 2030 Energy Standard, contact B3-MSBG Support to get your project set up in the B3-MSBG Tracking Tool. Contact Patrick Smith 612-626-9709 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- SB 2030 Energy Standard Fact Sheet
- SB 2030 Step-by-Step Process
- SB 2030 Alternate Path: Cost Effectiveness
- SB 2030 Building Strategy Checklist
- Building Performance Evaluation Guide (Modeling Requirements)
- SB 2030 Metering Requirements
- Using SB 2030 with a Design Assistance Program
- Guidance for Projects Using Asset Preservation Funding
- Transition To Operations
- 2030 2009-2014 Method for Partial Mechanical Upgrades
- SB 2030 2015-2019_Method for Partial Mechanical Upgrades
- SB 2030 2009-2014 Small Buildings Method Requirements
- SB 2030 2015-2019 Small Buildings Method Requirements
Wastewater Treatment Plants
- SB2030 Wastewater Treatment Process
- SB2030 WWTP Energy Conservation Measures (ECMs)
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Cost and Effectiveness Guidance
You can use a Demonstration Version of the SB 2030 Energy Standard Tool, note that inputs to this demonstration version are not saved or transferable to a project file.