Guideline E.3: Efficient Equipment and Appliances
To reduce energy use associated with equipment and process loads in buildings.
Required Performance Criteria
- All equipment and appliances provided as part of the project that have Energy Star Certified Product Categories shall meet Energy Star criteria.
- Equipment relating to process loads which are excluded from the SB 2030 project shall either:
- Meet or exceed the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)-designated energy efficiency level.
- Document that efficient equipment options have been selected such that no more-efficient alternatives with a 15-year or less simple payback were available.
Recommended Performance Criteria
- Select new appliances and equipment that are within the top quartile of efficiency in the corresponding Energy Star Certified Product Category.
- In-building transport: When elevators, escalators, or moving walkways are specified:
- Perform analysis of the transportation demand and usage pattern to determine the optimum size, number, and placement of elevators, escalators, and moving walkways.
- Estimate the annual energy use for in-building transportation for at least two options for each transport type under consideration. Document that efficient equipment has been selected such that no more-efficient options with a 15-year or less simple payback exist.
- Specify in-building transportation with energy saving measures, including:
- Operate in standby mode during off-peak times.
- Use a drive controller capable of variable speed, variable frequency control, and variable frequency control of the drive.
- Use of machine room-less traction systems with regenerative drives.
- Escalators and Moving Walks
- Use a load-sensing device that synchronizes motor output to passenger demand.
- Uses a passenger-sensing device for automated operation and standby mode.
 This guideline is aligned with BREEAM Ene 06
Implementation in the Design Process:
List anticipated equipment types in the project planning and early design phases that are covered under Energy Star Certified Product Categories. Some large process loads may be eligible to exclude from the SB 2030 project scope. If any such loads exist, contact the SB 2030 Review Team at SB2030@b3mn.org.The team will review all requests to exclude specific process load(s) from consideration under SB 2030. Note that any energy consumption excluded from the SB 2030 project scope must be separately metered to permit adequate energy tracking under SB2030 requirements. Ensure that Energy Star and process load systems meeting E.3B are budgeted as part of the project.
If project teams pursue the 15-year payback path to document non-SB 2030 efficiency measures, each piece of equipment or system should list the following for all alternatives examined:
- Equipment type
- Equipment cost
- Runtime estimates
- Expected annual energy use
- Expected annual energy cost
- O&M costs (if costs vary between options)
- Any other information required to calculate the simple payback
During the construction documents phase, provide drawings, cut sheets, and specifications highlighting compliance of equipment and appliances with Energy Star requirements. Document efficiency ratings of motors and drives, water service equipment, and other electrical load components. During construction administration, review shop drawings to assure compliance with energy-efficient equipment specifications.
Ensure that all alternatives permitted as part of the project meet the requirements for the relevant guideline and monitor final equipment selection and purchasing to ensure compliance is achieved.
- 3A: Identify and list Energy Star appliance types expected to be used in the project.
- 3A: Update Energy Star appliance types expected to be used in the project.
- 3B: List any identified process load requested to be excluded from the SB 2030 project scope and identified method of compliance (FEMP or payback period).
- 3D: Document system type(s), number(s), and location(s) of optimized in-building transport systems and identify system options with anticipated energy use.
- 3A: Upload specifications mandating selection of Energy Star appliances or equipment for available appliance types. Submit list of identified appliance types covered under the Energy Star program.
- 3B: Identification of process loads requested and approved by SB 2030 Review Team to be removed from SB 2030 project scope. List related equipment and method of compliance, including calculations of payback periods for alternatives.
- 3C: List identified appliance types and document selection of top-quartile options.
- 3D: Submit specifications section and equipment schedule for in-building transport systems and identify which of the measures outlined in the guideline were implemented.
- 3A: Verification of selection of Energy Star appliances for available appliance or equipment types.
- 3B: Identification of final equipment selected for non-SB 2030 process loads and final method of compliance.
Federal Energy Management Program: https://www.energy.gov/eere/femp/federal-energy-management-program
SB 2030 Program: https://www.b3mn.org/2030energystandard/
BS EN ISO 25745 – Energy Performance of Lifts, Escalators, and Moving Walks: https://www.iso.org/standard/60951.html
DOE ENERGY STAR Program: www.energystar.gov